Sugar, teeth and the holiday season!
The holiday season is upon us! After our sugary Halloween, we have Thanksgiving and the winter holidays just around the corner. This time usually involves an increase in sweet treats, candy, and snacking. COVID-19 and online schooling has presented challenges for most families with children not having the same routines around personal care and hygiene. We at Aloha Pediatric Dentistry wanted to give you a few tips to keep the season healthy and fun!
- Schedule a “sweet hour” during which children can eat all their candy, sweet desserts and treats. Schedule this hour once or twice a week and right after a nutritious meal. This helps decrease the amount and frequency of eating not-so-healthy treats. Frequent snacking on fermentable carbohydrates contributes to increased acid production in the mouth and an increased risk of developing cavities.
- Give children reminders about personal hygiene. Encourage waking up a few minutes earlier in the morning, brushing teeth and washing their face before starting their day.
- Have plenty of healthy snack options at home and keep them in areas where they are more easily accessible. Please review our website for cavity prevention tips: https://www.alohakidsdds.com/online-forms/patient-handouts/
- Give reminders about drinking water. Encourage water swishes after snacks, drinks and meals.
- Regular dental check-ups are beneficial. If you have postponed your child’s dental visit, please be aware that regular checkups can help diagnose and prevent dental pain, infection and emergencies. If you have funds left over in your FSA or your dental insurance covers 2 check-ups a year, use these resources before they expire. Please email us at [email protected] or text/call us at 510-848-6494 with your preferred date, time, location and doctor to schedule your child’s dental check-up.
Our dental check-ups are scheduled with social distancing in mind, with stringent infection control protocols and completed as efficiently as possible to ensure the safety and well-being of our patients, staff and community!
We thank you for your continued partnership in ensuring the health of our children and community. Have a wonderful, healthy and safe holiday season!
With much Aloha,
The doctors and team at Aloha Pediatric Dentistry
North Berkeley Office Status and Update
On October 7, 2019, a fire devastated our North Berkeley office located on Ensenada Avenue.
Aloha Pediatric Dentistry | 3 East Bay Locations
2640 Telegraph Avenue #101, Berkeley | (510) 848-6494
3010 Colby Street # 117, North Berkeley | (510) 528-1546
3 Altarinda Road #210, Orinda | (925) 253-8190
All three of our offices are specially designed for children with a kids-friendly open treatment area and the latest dental equipment, including digital x-rays. We have child sized dental chairs and sinks and a Hawaiian theme that actually makes going to the dentist fun.
Aloha Pediatric Dentistry
Our practice has been in business in the East Bay for over 40 years. We have warm and caring pediatric dentists and staff who are specially trained to put your child at ease.
Education and prevention are a key part of our practice. We take the time to explain the proper way to take care of teeth, so our patients learn good habits at a young age. We focus on preventative regimens based on a child’s individual needs and risk factors as recommended by AAPD. We also visit local schools throughout the year to teach children and educators about oral health.
What is a Pediatric Dentist?
Pediatric dentists have two to three years of specialty training following dental school and treat children from birth through adolescence exclusively. On top of that, all our dentists are Board Certified. This means they have successfully completed accredited training and gone through an examination process designed to validate that they have the knowledge, skills and experience to the deliver the best quality patient care to your child.
Our dedicated doctors and staff volunteer their time and effort to a variety of causes. Our doctors are selected to be on Oakland Children’s Hospital’s prestigious Craniofacial Panel. This distinctive group of doctors provides comprehensive services to children with complex medical/dental needs. In addition, our volunteer team makes mission trips to Guatemala, the Philippines and Kona, Hawaii servicing areas where there is little or no dental care available. For photos and more information, see Community Involvement, under Meet Us.