At Aloha Pediatric Dentistry, education is a key part of our practice. We visit local schools throughout the year to teach children and educators about oral health.
A 20-25 minute presentation is given by one of our Board Certified Pediatric Dentists and a Registered Dental Assistant. We cover the following material, geared to the age of the children in the audience:
1. Process of how a cavity forms
- Common causes of tooth decay
- Foods that can cause cavities
2. Food groups that are good for the teeth and body
3. Habits of oral hygiene
- Techniques for effective brushing and flossing
- Brush 2x day, floss every evening before bed
- Get a parent to help
4. Using our friend Hula the Magic Dragon, we demonstrate a typical first trip to the dentist, reducing the mystery by showing how and why we use things like masks, gloves, and special instruments.
We give each child a dental kit containing a toothbrush, floss, and dental supplies (rubber gloves, mask, dental mirror, etc.) so they can play dentist at home! In addition, we include a “Snack Sheet” that outlines smart snacks, things to avoid between meals, and common causes of tooth decay.
If you’re interested in scheduling us to visit your child’s school, please contact our office.
Some of the schools we’ve visited are Meher School and Joyful Beginnings in Lafayette, My Own Montessori in Oakland, Nia House in Berkeley, and St. Mark’s Nursery in Orinda.
We review these posters with the kids when we visit schools:
Hula the Magic Dragon helps teach the kids about proper dental hygiene!